Thursday, December 28, 2006

Meeting People Is Easy

Sometimes you chase a potential interview. Other times they drop right in your lap.

I received this email a few days ago:
    Benjamin:

    How strange that tonight I was at the piano noodling around with some old tunes from Mister Rogers Neighborhood - then quite by accident discovered your site! All of the wonderful recollections struck a deep chord. I met Fred in 1977 - at the start of my graduate degree in - children's TV... and we became fast friends. He would often sign his letters and emails "your forever friend." So you can imagine how I appreciated reading about your project! I feel as if the FCI family - David Newell, Sam Newberry, Hedda Sharapan, and of course Bill Isler and Elaine Lynch - are lifelong friends as well!

    I never did break into children's TV - and now run a non-profit advocacy org. in DC - while producing educational videos on occasion.

    A few months back I wrote a chapter for a book on friendship about Fred and told about Fred and the baby pacifier. If we should ever meet I would love to share it with you. And you may be interested to hear about how his favorite number reached me the day he died...

    And dang it all - I was in NY yesterday. Next time I'm in the city (which is about once every month or so) - I will try and make one of your shows. I would love to meet you.

    Anyway I just wanted to touch base with you and wish you well on the project - and to say I can't wait to see it!

    Vince Isner
    Charlottesville, VA

Everyone tells me how Fred loved bringing people together...

We'll see...

No comments: