Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I Don't

This was in my inbox when I got to work this morning.

    Dear Benjamin ,

    We certainly do appreciate your willingness to be flexible in regard to your project, but unfortunately, we are still going to decline your kind request.

    I appreciate your time and enthusiasm, and I certainly hope you can understand the nature of Garrison's commitments on his schedule.

    All the best with your project,

    [Name Redacted]

Obviously, I am disappointed. I actually can't imagine how a quicky interview impacts "the nature of Garrison's committments." I can't imagine not wanting to talk with someone about depth and simplicity, or using my voice to contribute to the greater good. All I can figure is that he doesn't want to be a part of something so small, or something. I dunno'.

As I read and re-read her note, though, I tried to ask myself how Mister Rogers would have handled the disappointment. It's difficult to imagine a similar scenario for him, as -- best as I can tell -- he had some pretty decent luck as a young whipper snapper. But I'm sure that somewhere, sometime, someone he admired said, "No," and he probably allowed himself to be sad a while, then moved on.

No comments: